It's interesting to me that many so people are so eager to give their opinion on natural hair or anything else for that matter. Especially when your a Newbie you want to learn all you can about natural hair. It really does take time, effort and a whole lot of patience.
Let me tell you though, you cant listen to everybody. When Naturals get together there is bound to be a discussion about natural hair, and everybody wants to express them self. Usual the newbie/transitioner is cornered in some way and a ridiculous amount of information is dumped on them in less then 5 minutes. Let me put it this way don't take advice from people who don't know how to do their hair! I say this because its ironic to me that the people who can't maintain or style their natural hair properly are the ones giving advice.
Let me break it down for you:
1. Be realistic - Growth takes time, maintaining and caring for hair takes patience. All so remember that each curly is different and our hair will react differently to products and styles. So even though you may follow someone recipe and instructions to the T, it may not come out the same way. Practice makes perfect and you really have to find what works for YOU.
2. Observe carefully - Look at who is giving the advice and if they truly can help you. If their hair is in braids, or weave majority of the time, how are they going to help you maintain your natural hair in its natural state if they never have their hair in that state? If you notice their hair is dry and not cute, why use the same products or techniques?
3. Don't feel pressured - Many times Naturals are a little pushy. I think this is because we are so passionate about our hair and all we have learned. So sometimes we say BUY this, TRY this, oh this will be the BEST for YOU, and we don't know the hair of the Natural we are speaking to.
4. Talk to the True Curly - When I say true curly I mean someone who has success with styling, growing and maintaining their natural hair in its natural state. Someone who has a head of hair you admire.
5. Listen to YOUR HAIR - Use what works for YOU not what works for someone else. Many people are very pushy with their products, and try to influence you to buy this or that.. If something is working for you KEEP using it. If you are searching for products, try samples. They are cheap, some are free, this is an expensive way to test a product. If you can't find samples ask the True Curly and or Pushy Curly to let you borrow their product so you can test it out. Or see if they have any products they are not using that they can give you to try. Product Swaps and Samples are the best!!!