Search This Blog

Watering Orchids

As you already know I LOVE ORCHIDS!!! There seems to be much interest in Orchids since one of my first posts about Orchids is one of the most popular. So if you have an Orchid lets learn how to water them properly!

When I got my first Orchid I was clueless on how to care for it. I had always heard stories about how these flowers were the hardest to keep alive. So far I have 3 and they are all still living :) Internet sites and books have helped tremendously. As for watering you will hear varying responses to when you should water your orchid. I water my every 2 weeks or every month. For the simple reason that Orchids don't need that much water and they are flowers that are use to not getting enough water so they store what you give them. With that being said do not allow your medium (the soil used for orchids) get dried out. It needs to be moist not DRY not overly saturated by any means. So though I say I water my it 2 weeks or every month, I do water it in between BUT that is simply to keep the medium moist. This means a very LITTLE amount of water. Also once a month you should fertilize your orchid, not more then once a month.
 
 
A. When watering your orchids, take care to avoid wetting the leaves. When watering orchid under the faucet ensure that your watering the whole surface area and not one spot.


B. If water gets trapped in between the leaves, dry them quickly by using a piece of
    tissue or a cotton ball.



C. After watering, do not allow residual or standing water to come in contact with the
     base of the orchid pot. Lemon juice will make your leaves shine :)

     Tip - Try to water in the morning, so that if there is extra water that runs off it will
     be evaporated throughout the day.


D. Overwatering will result in yellow, damaged leaves. If your orchid's leaves turn yellow and show signs of rot, hold off on watering for a few weeks.

Don't be afraid to stop watering. You have to otherwise you will kill your orchid.





For more information go to Beautiful Orchids

No comments:

Post a Comment